[sclug] Mirror disks across machines like distributed RAID?

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Wed Jan 6 16:58:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 16:52:40 +0000, Tom Carbert-Allen wrote:
: On 06/01/2010 4:18, Dickon Hood wrote:
: >HA webservers can usually be managed happily with the usual tricks:
: >clusters of machines, load balancers (if you insist), HSRP-alike failover,
: >virtual IP addresses and whatnot.  Or you can simply do what the BBC has
: >done for many years, and have a five-minute TTL on the DNS and ifconfig an
: >alias on another machine should one of the farm go down.  This sort of
: >thing isn't rocket science.

: I am very surprised the BBC are using such a manual technique to keep
: there site online, especially as you seem to suggest a human is logging
: in and performing this operation.

There's a trick: buy decent hardware that doesn't fall over every couple
of minutes, and run a solid OS on it.  Hence Solaris on Sun kit, rather
than Windows on Dell.

: Then again there site is static,

mod_include, mostly.

: doesn't require transactions or a users session to stay open
: transparently during a fail over, so simple old technology would be
: enough for them. Maybe they aren't as hi tech as they would have us believe.

High tech !=> better.  Sometimes simple is best.

--
Dickon Hood

Due to digital rights management, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the
inconvenience in the meantime.

No virus was found in this outgoing message as I didn't bother looking.