[sclug] Community Support

Jonathan H N Chin jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 3 17:14:41 UTC 2010

>> I don't think people do. They expect the help will be returned.
> Replace 'expect' with 'hope' and you might be onto something.

One "hopes" to win the lottery.
One "expects" to lose the lottery.

> Personally, my Google-Fu is good enough and my interests esoteric enough
> that if I can't search for and find answers to my queries, I don't expect to
> get useful answers from "general" mailing lists, forums, etc. And yet, I
> still try to help others out.

Notice that I said "people" and "they". I was postulating
the behaviour of society, not of its individuals.

-jonathan

--
 Jonathan H N Chin   | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<jc254 at newton.ac.uk> | systems manager | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508