[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 80, Issue 4

Graham Swallow lists at information-cascade.co.uk
Mon May 17 13:47:50 UTC 2010

> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 16:36:13 +0200
> From: Tim Sutton <tim at linfiniti.com>
> Subject: Re: [sclug] Reading Skeptics group meeting & Cafe
>        Scientifique
> To: John Stumbles <sclug at yaph.org.uk>
> Cc: sclug <sclug at sclug.org.uk>
>
> Hi
>
> Could you create a separate mailing list for sceptics and take this
> traffic of the SCLUG list? Unless I am a lone voice in the wilderness
> wondering why this stuff is landing up on this list....
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Wow! How unreachable is the delete button on your machine?

Johns posting is a bit off topic, as far as Linux goes,
but he is a regular attendee at the meetings,
the sceptic meeting is similarly a pub-based-meeting in the same town,
and many people in the SCLUG would be interested in the technology of
gnome replication or lots of things (is there a Higgs Boson meeting
for beginners,
or am I stuck with wikipedia, my eyes are getting tired)

It is sort of related to things that people do talk about at our
'geeks night out' meetings.
As linux enthusiasts, there is a tiny possibility that we should 'get out more',
and as a community support group the SCLUUG helps us get more out of each-other,
and as a vibrant atmosphere, we need to allow people to wander off topic a bit,
to foster open "divergent" thinking rather than closed "convergent" thinking.
When the only answer is the right answer, it is not a new
quest-question, it is a quiz-point.

If only every person in our group added ONE link to activity outside,
it would contribute to the spectrum of a community of better rounded people,
who knew and treated each-other as individuals, with good days and bad days,
who in turn would be better positioned, and motivated to find
questions for Linux.

That said, John, shuttup John.
I dont want to hear about grumpy old men in a pub,
finally coming to terms with evolution.

Graham