[sclug] Opensource is not leading edge any more

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 20 12:36:36 UTC 2010

> How can open source be leading edge if politicians now talk
> about
> it?

With respect, does it matter if it's not?  Indeed, isn't this a healthy development?  Something not being [perceived as] "leading edge" is often a prerequisite of widespread adoption, especially commercially.  Most large companies - including the one I work for - are rather conservative in their approach to software.  But my company is happily using open source more and more these days, and I'm proud of them for that.

Lest we forget, one of open source's flagship products (Linux) is based on a design that, in computer terms, is prehistoric.  It doesn't matter to me that the design principles behind Unix aren't "leading edge", it matters to me that they are still sound 40 years on.  Good design should never go out of fashion.

Mindful of what's been posted on this list over the last few days I'm trying not to troll here, just presenting a different perspective on things.

Best regards,
James.