[sclug] Xmodmap Project - Anyone interested?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Sep 21 22:24:58 UTC 2010

On 21/09/10 19:45, Krishna Birth wrote:
[...]
> Could this be done - When this Fonts / Scripts  ?ey is pressed with a letter
> ?ey it toggles to diacritic letter 1 or 2 or  3 (depending on how many
> diacritics are there connected with a 'target' letter) - this toggling will
> need to factor in a 'remain at same spot' and toggle these diacritics
> feature.  When the Fonts / Scripts ?ey is released then the cursor would
> move to the next base.

If you want to make it work exactly as you describe, it can probably be
done but it'll most likely involve writing custom input method code.
Possible, but a lot of work.

*However*, X as it stands already supports something similar to what you
describe via the Compose key (actually, Multi_key, but nobody ever calls
it that). This allows you to assign a particular Unicode character to
multiple key sequences starting with Compose (traditionally mapped
AltGr, Right Meta or Menu on a Microsoft keyboard).

So:

? = <Compose> A -
? = <Compose> a -
D? = <Compose> D .
d? = <Compose> d .

...etc.

You will need to modify the compose key mappings (out of the box the
above sequences produce ? ? ? ?), but that ought to be easy enough ---
the default mappings are in /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose,
and I believe you can just copy it to ~/.XCompose and it should work.
(You may need to restart X.) This file also lets you configure the dead
key mappings but I've never needed to use those so don't know how they work.

There's a more detailed guide here:
http://cyberborean.wordpress.com/2008/01/06/compose-key-magic/

Oh, yeah, and GTK apps do their own thing, of course, and you may need
to tell them to use the X Input Method before this will work.

--
?