[sclug] Just to spoil everyone's tea...

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Wed Aug 3 13:15:40 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 13:52:16 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
: On Wed, 3 Aug 2011, Neil Haughton wrote:

: >http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/08/intellectual-property

: In other news, the UK government has accepted the recommendations of the
: Hargreaves IP review, and will legalise ripping of CDs for personal
: use. (DVDs might well be legal to rip, but only if you don't have to
: break any
: encryption, or other 'technical measures', as then you'll fall foul of the
: EUCD as implemented in the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 2003...)

This is good.  On the downside, it looks like they've also accepted the
recommendations which reduce the copyright protection on amateur-produced
works.  So uploading photos to a photo sharing site more or less grants
media organisations permission to use them, AIUI.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to unending piles of junk mail, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.