[sclug] Introducing myself.

Adam Thompson adwulf at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:29:51 UTC 2011

On 10 June 2011 11:29, Simon Huggins <huggie at earth.li> wrote:
>> What about that stackoverflow(? stackexchange?) site? - looks like a
>> place to acquire a demonstrable reputation.
>
> Though I've never seen a CV that linked to such.

Nor I.  I have noticed some messages on LinkedIn, saying that '$person
answered 4 questions in forum $technologyarea' - although I've never
answered any questions on there myself, and I doubt many employers
will look at such things.  In only one job interview over the last 10
years have I been asked about community participation (ie which USENET
groups or mailing lists do you subscribe to and participate in), and
that was for penetration testing, not sysadmin.

I may get lynched for suggesting this here, but if it's system
administration you're looking to do, most places I've worked at will
insist on having some level of familiarity with the likes of Active
Directory and Exchange - so you might want to brush up on some of the
basics of that, too.  Even if you're an Oracle DBA who insists on a
Solaris platform, the odds are that somewhere, at some point, your
systems will be access by or have some integration with something
based on Windows.  That may change in the future, though.

--
AdamT
Karaoke: Japanese for 'avoid this pub'. ?As in "Karaoke, Saturday 7pm-11pm".