[sclug] Personalised web content filtering / code control

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 12:15:32 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 16/6/11, Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Tech problem here: My employers' main asset is the IP in
> their source code,
> and consequently they are very concerned about the risk of
> staff (especially
> new recruits, or disaffected staff) being able to walk off
> with it all and
> sell it in other markets where it would be impossible catch
> or stop.

Can't help on the web filtering, but there might be another suggestion.  Haven't thought this through (so there may well be holes to pick, feel free) but how about:

1.  Setting up virtual machines on each box
2.  Configuring the VMs so that (a) they cannot access the internet (disable the network gateway config or something), and (b) can access the source code / dev tools your people need to work on
3.  Remove the ability to access the (presumably networked) source code etc. directories from the host machines, but keep internet access.
4.  If your chosen VM software allows file transfers between host and guest, make sure this is disabled and can't be switched back on

As I say, this is only an idea - never tried it - but it might be worth pursuing.  And it always helps to think about the problem a different way!

James.