[sclug] Personalised web content filtering

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 16 12:46:49 UTC 2011

Thanks to evertyone for the comprehensive replies. I hasten to add that
although I am not entirely comfortable with the HR issues at stake, I can
see that allowing 'untrusted' people access to the source code is a big risk
to the business, and yet unavoidable (we have to have developers working on
the code, and from time to time have to recruit new developers). So my
employers have to mitigate the risks as best they can, although everyone is
aware that absolute prevention is impossible - they can only (hopefully)
make it sufficiently hard to be not worth it, and remain vigilant.

So far it looks like Squid sounds a good way to go, so I'll be looking at at
that. The 'prior approval' approach probably won't be practical. I shall
push for people not to have administrator rights by default, as we hardly
need them, so that should mean that lock down can be a  bit more secure (and
there will be other benefits as well!)

I have long ago suggested the open source business model (a substantial part
of the revenue is support anyway), and I am only now beginning to thaw from
the frozen looks I got - so I can't see that happening. :-)

Neil.