[sclug] Personalised web content filtering

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:37:53 UTC 2011

Hi Goraxe,

Some interesting thoughts and ideas.

Thanks also for your backup on my points about this being more worth doing
than not doing, given the objective. There seems to be a school of thought
afoot which thinks that Developers can do what they like at work, because if
not they can't do their job. IMHO that's self indulgent BS, and
'trust' should be earned, not assumed.  I particularly liked your paragraph
substituting personal details for source code in this context. Suddenly the
boot is on the other foot and trust becomes elevated to a BIG ISSUE!  I do
hope our banks don't trust their developers with the freedoms that some
people seem to think they should have.

<Rant>
I am currently marvelling at the Windows 7 security model. LP users right up
to Administrator are repeatedly pestered with "You need to be Administrator
to do this. Do you want to proceed as Administrator?" messages, with no
attempt to challenge for a password before performing the action! What's the
point in that? And why does an Administrator repeatedly have to confirm that
he wants to proceed as Administrator? Another quality product from
Microsoft...
</Rant>

 Neil.