[sclug] Vinyl to digital

Graham Swallow lists at information-cascade.co.uk
Sun Oct 23 13:45:07 UTC 2011

The line out (banana plugs to tape drive) from your HiFi Stack,
should perfectly match line-in on the computer, so you need a ?4 cable.
I like this, but my brother felt it lacked quality, maybe the 'cd-bite'
wasnt there.

Then adjust the input level on audacity (switch that line on, other lines
OFF)
and record 20 minutes per side, then use audacity to trim and chop into
tracks.
Audacity does LAME, or you can halve the size, or set your own options,
Personally I like:
     lame -h --vbr-new -V 4 f.wav f.mp3.tmp

Then edit the track names into a hardcoded python script that uses ID3.py
(just the one file)
http://id3-py.sourceforge.net/
plus maybe move and rename the files into a
subdirprep/audio/mp4_V4//artist/album/02_track_name.mp3

I have a python script which does something smilar to grip,
from CD to MP3 tree, but it has some bitrot, and hurried origins,
http://www.gps.talktalk.net/LGPL/index1.html#mp3_hissy_fit

Graham

I am planning a Winter Project. I have in the attic a very good turntable