[sclug] Vinyl to digital

John Stumbles sclug at yaph.org.uk
Tue Oct 25 09:30:03 UTC 2011

On 25/10/11 09:02, Neil Haughton wrote:

> However given the number of LPs I have, replacing them with CDs would be
> prohibitively expensive, even if they are all available on CD (which they
> aren't).

My son has been building up a CD collection - often getting on
polycarbonate what he'd already downloaded or got from friends - just
because he wants the actual physical discs, and he seems to get lots of
them for silly prices like a quid each (bought online and probably
shipped back and forth halfway across the world to avoid manufacturers'
price fixing and tax etc!).

Some of us <ahem!> just download 'em from torrents muttering "I already
paid for the music on vinyl, don't see why I should pay for it again"
:-) (Which is AIUI no more or less of a copyright violation than
transcribing vinyl to digital or CD to cassette anyway.)

Of course as you say some aren't available on shiny round things.

--
John Stumbles                                       http://yaph.org.uk