[sclug] Ubuntu 12.04 UEFI install

Matt Cox spudgun79 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 10:02:07 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I have a machine that has a UEFI bios that already has a copy of Windows 7 installed on it in UEFI mode.

I want to try and install Ubuntu 12.04 on it as dual boot so I need to install it in UEFI mode also.  I found some nice instructions on the Ubuntu forums, but I seem to be stumbling near the first hurdle.

I've put the x64 iso on a USB stick using unetbootin in order to be able to boot from it in UEFI mode, but when I do I just get a 'grub>' prompt. In 'normal' mode I get the launcher just fine.

Does anyone have any experience of UEFI installs? The last post in the above thread (at the time of writing) is me, but I thought I would post here as well.

My last resort would be to reinstall Win 7 and Ubuntu both in legacy BIOS mode, but I don't want to give up just yet.

Regards,

Matt.