[sclug] Blu-Ray writing

Robin Lewis gotenxiao at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 07:16:57 UTC 2012

On Jul 17, 2012 5:57 AM, "Daniel Craigie" <danielcraigie at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you mean that the second layer is handled exclusively by the drive?
> The software is just writing to a disk with a total capacity of 50GB?

That's been my experience with DVD burning - dual layer discs are handled
as 9-and-a-bit GB targets.

> which type of compression would you recommend for video files?

Generally speaking, encoded video doesn't compress well - mainly because
most video codecs are a compression method. Just tarball the files if you
want an archive that you can split across backup media. (Or, just burn the
files directly, but that tends to lead to space wastage.)