[sclug] Open Sky?

Daniel Craigie danielcraigie at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:46:54 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

Sitting down this evening, to watch the Hairy Bikers eat their way around the country, I noticed that our SkyHD box has received a software update.  Naturally (with the new rear RJ45 port in mind) I set about the setup menu and came across the Software tab.  In short it's 91 pages of Open Source licences, which can also be found at www.sky.com/opensourcesoftware/skyhd, for all sorts of goodies including:

XFree86
FreeBSD
libcurl
DHCP
Linux Kernel
IPTables
etc...

Now I know that Linux has existed in set-top boxes for some time but does anyone know how long Sky and/or Amstrad have been using it?

I'm most intrigued to find anyone working on liberating the recorded content from the internal disk so that I can stream it to my Raspberry Pi...

Daniel

(Long time watcher, first time poster)