[sclug] Rooting my Android phone

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun May 6 16:50:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, 4 May 2012, Ms. C. Black wrote:

> I have the Galaxy S1 not never rooted it. If you root it are you not
> opening yourself to security threats?

Not especially; after all, a malware app can bundle or download its own root
exploit code to get root for itself, even if your device isn't already
rooted.

Of course, if you give root privileges to an app that misuses them, then
that's kinda your fault... :-)

> Be careful, I heard people bricking phones by rooting them.

I think one would find it pretty hard to brick an Android device merely by
rooting it; installing a custom recovery, or an entirely new firmware is a
different matter.

> Christine.

HTH,
Alex