[sclug] Help! CD drive not being seen

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Nov 25 11:10:52 UTC 2012

On 25/11/12 09:34, Neil Haughton wrote:
[...]

> Unable to open disc.  Is there an audio CD in the drive?
>

> The answer is 'yes'. I've tried with several audio CDs. When I put it in,
> the device light blinks for a while then stops. The contents of the CD
> remain inaccessible.
>
> This suggests to me that the drive is terminal, but I have no way to test
> that short of buying a new one which I am reluctant to do until I am sure
> it isn't something upstream (eg the OS misbehaving or misconfigured).
>
> I've checked that the master/slave/c-s drive jumper on the back is set up
> as Master, and the device is connected to the end plug of the ribbon cable
> (although changing to the alternative plug makes no difference).
>
> Does anyone have some guidance to give me as what to try next?

Apologies - I have not read all through the thread.

The main action I would try is a live session by some means if
possible. maybe usb live session or maybe from a usb connected CD
drive. There may be other ways of running a live session -  from
mounting an iso image, not sure. A live session will help to eliminate
the OS question.

FWIW, CD drives are not expensive to buy, and they are cheap as chips
2nd user at computer fairs. Even temporary use would be good?

good luck

--
alan cocks