[sclug] Motherboard suggestions

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Tue Apr 23 15:52:50 UTC 2013

All,

It looks like its time to update my Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
(system built in 2005, 3 DDR memory stick failures, 2 power supplies
given up the ghost).  I am getting intermittent hangs and swapping
out the memory does not seem to make these go away.

I originally built the system to house lots of hard discs (total
of 3T) and so I chose a motherboard with lots of SATA ports (8).

The nearest Asus equivalent I can find today is the P8Z77-V.

Does anybody have suggestions for reliable motherboards supporting
lots of SATA ports?  Support for a PS/2 port would be a plus; I
love the old IBM keyboards and the PS/2 -> USB connectors seem
to result in support for some characters disappearing.

--
Derek M. Jones                  tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd          blog:shape-of-code.coding-guidelines.com