[sclug] On ultra cheap machines

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Apr 25 17:04:14 UTC 2013

My father's been complaining that his desktop PC is running very slowly,
spending a lot of time swapping. After discovering that it's got 768MB
RAM and maxes out at 1GB, I think out found out why.

What's the current state-of-the-art in cheap and nasty PCs? He's not a
gamer, and will use it mainly for some light DTPing and scanning and
driving a printer, so it basically needs no performance whatsoever. It
needs to run Linux and, um, Windows XP. The case is fine, so it probably
just needs a new motherboard, CPU, RAM and hard drive.

I'm totally out of touch with PC hardware: can you still get
motherboards with integrated CPUs? Are they cost-effective? Any suggestions?

(Mutter mutter. If he wanted an ARM box I'd know just what to get him.
But no, he wants a frickin' PC...)

--
?