[sclug] Motherboard compatibility with Linux

Ian Park i.d.c.park at ntlworld.com
Thu Apr 25 20:41:20 UTC 2013

Hi all

Prompted by the thread "Motherboard suggestions", I thought I'd try
picking brains about the compatibility of a motherboard I'm thinking of
using with Linux Mint. The MB is the Asus Rampage IV Extreme [1], which
brags about its compatibility with Windows 8. I don't want to commit to
pretty substantial expense in building a PC based on this MB, only to
find that it gives me all sorts of grief when I try to install Linux,
because of UEFI. Can anyone advise on whether it's sensible to go ahead
with building a PC based on this MB, or indeed whether I would be better
advised to avoid it in favour of another one?

[1] http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ian
--