[sclug] Debian Squeeze boot up messages - should I be worried?

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Mon Feb 18 20:40:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 20:26:35 +0000, Neil Haughton wrote:
: I have lately noticed the following series of messages appearing on screen
: when I boot up (pre login).  They look quite worrying to me, but to be
: honest I haven't really a clue if they are significant or whether it is
: just something that happens in daily life. Can anyone advise me?

: Feb 18 20:09:26 debian kernel: [   81.627035] ata1.01: status: { DRDY DF
: DRQ ERR }
: Feb 18 20:09:26 debian kernel: [   81.627040] ata1.01: error: { UNC IDNF
: ABRT }

: I should add that the machine seems sluggish of late, and I have had to
: fsck one or two partitions a couple of times recently to rebuild the file
: system after an unclean shutdown has been reported, although I suspect my
: dearest is occasionally switching off before the machine has properly
: shutdown so the unclean shutdowns may have something to do with that.

It looks like it's having trouble reading stuff from the disc.  I'd
replace the cable (or reseat it at least), and be prepared to replace it
soonish.  The other half of your mirror will take up the slack when it
dies, though.

You *do* have another half of the mirror, don't you..?

: The system is fully up to date with security patches and updates etc, as of
: today.

That's a hardware issue.  Software probably won't make much difference,
unless you've got some timing issues in the kernel somewhere.  Not too
likely.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to the release of iOS 6 Maps, my .signature is temporarily lost.  Normal
service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.