[sclug] Debian Squeeze boot up messages: moving on.

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Fri Feb 22 18:12:56 UTC 2013

Hi Neil,

Neil Haughton <haughtonomous at googlemail.com> writes:
> Thanks to Alex and Phil for interesting answers, which have prompted a
> rethink. I was labouring under the delusion that I could only RAID physical
> devices, whereas of course I can RAID paritions, right?
>
> Say I replace my ailing drive (which is only 40Gb, I think) with a 500G
> PATA WD Caviar, partitioned into 320Gb for data and roughly 180G for
> everything else, can I RAID/mirror the 320G parition with my existing
> external USB 320G drive? That would save messing around trying to relocate
> the external drive to be an internal SATA drive with new adapter and all
> that, which makes life a whole lot simpler and cheaper. Until I can
> graduate to a new motherboard I can make do without the speed of SATA -
> more memory would probably give me a better return for my money (I only
> have 720MB of ancient stuff at the moment)

I wouldn't trust an external enclosure to be part of a RAID -- if one
nudges the cable on a drive that you use for backups, chances are you'll
do it when it's not in use, and it'll get unmounted and remounted
without any fuss.  Do the same thing to a drive in a RAID, and it will
be kicked out of the RAID, and then you'll need to shove it back in
again by hand.

If you do do it anyway, consider --write-mostly for the external drive.

> TIA
>
> neil.

Cheers, Phil.

P.S. you appear to have failed to mail the list -- perhaps this is
google's fault (combined with me sending mine both to you and the list)
as they apparently do duplicate elimination that results in you only
seeing the copy you didn't want.  It's pretty obvious that's what
happened, so I'll reply on-list only this time.
BTW I'd imagine top-posting is considered poor form on this list.