[sclug] Debian Squeeze boot up messages: moving on.

John Stumbles sclug at yaph.org.uk
Fri Feb 22 22:11:15 UTC 2013

On 22/02/13 16:47, Philip Hands wrote:

> I've had quite good luck with HP Microservers:
>
>   http://www.ebuyer.com/281915-hp-proliant-turion-ii-n40l-microserver-100-cashback-658553-421
>
> I note that Microsoft seems to be getting more and more desperate about
> these, trying to tempt the unwary with 500 quid in cashback, but the 100
> quid you get back when buying a bare machine seems pretty decent to me
> (especially if you're able to reclaim VAT, as that leaves the price at
> just 100 pounds for a little server machine, ready to take 4 disks).

I thought the cashback had been dropped. I highly recommend this box: my
only grumbles with it are (1) that you can't latch the door shut without
using the stupid little toy key (which is to physical security what
rot13 is to cryptography ;-)), and (2) it doesn't do sound, or I'd have
one as a media server!

I have one running with currently 4 drives as raid 1 mirror pairs, the
pairs joined JBOD (aka raid 0) to make a bigger array, plus another
drive stuffed into the optical drive bay doing a snapshot backup (time
machine sort of thing) on the more important parts of my data.

--
John Stumbles                                       http://yaph.org.uk