[sclug] Copy drive problem

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Tue Mar 5 10:21:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 09:01:28 +0000, Ed Davies wrote:
: On 2013-03-04 23:58, John Stumbles wrote:
: >  > That said, it is an odd flag to have.

: > Presumably the coders thought the default 'follow' behaviour was the
: > sensible default so added 'nofollow' to allow for those infinitely rare
: > occasions where coders fail to second-guess users' actual requirements? ;-)

: As far as I can see all this flag does is cause an error
: message if the name passed on the if switch happens to be a
: symlink.

Correct.

: I'm having a hard time third-guessing when that
: would be the user's actual requirement.

Probably when used scripted.  I can't see why anyone would bother to
specify it when using it manually.  It seems to be a Gnuism, so it's
probably appeared as part of their kitchen-sink mentality.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to the release of iOS 6 Maps, my .signature is temporarily lost.  Normal
service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.