No subject

Mon Apr 27 21:01:54 UTC 2015

console, rather than running up X.

Failing that, there's the init=/bin/sh trick (an Internet search for
"init=/bin/sh" should answer any questions you have about that).

The next question is, which driver is causing the problem -- I'm
guessing it's either nouveau (the free driver) or nvidia (the non-free
one)

If it's noveau, you may find this works for you:

 http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_the_hard_way#Blacklist_nouveau

(along with the hints for getting the nvidia driver running, although
details will differ between OpenSUSE and Ubuntu, of course -- I'd expect
that enabling non-free sources and installing some sor of non-free
firmware, using apt-get while on the console, should do the trick here).

You may be able to prove which driver you need to blackist by trying to
load noveau and nvidia with modprobe:

  modprobe noveau

and seeing if that causes the crash -- you may find that it spews
useful/meanigless log messages onto the console, which can then be fed
into your favorite search engine for hints.

Cheers, Phil.