[Scottish] Help! SuSe installation

gordonjcp at gjcp.net gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Thu Dec 9 16:44:49 GMT 2004

> Apart from the trackball buttons working in a strange way, no access to
> the floppy drive, no network connection to the other machine (the one with

I'm not sure how much you know about it, but you do know that removable
media needs to be mounted?

Sometimes this is taken care of for you, with something like automount.
At a command prompt, type "ls /mnt" - this should give you a list of mount
points.  You should see "floppy" in there somewhere.

type "mount" - you should see a list of devices and mount points.

If you type "mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy" as root, it should mount the
floppy as /mnt/floppy - now anything that you put into that directory will
end up on the floppy drive.  Unix doesn't really have a concept of drive
letters like the CP/M-derived OSes have.

Once you're done - and this is *VERY IMPORTANT* - you must type "umount
/mnt/floppy" to unmount the disk.  Notice that it is "umount" not
"unmount" - I'm sure someone out there knows why.
If you get an error like "Device is busy", that's because you're still in
/mnt/floppy, or something is holding a file on the floppy open.  A good
old favourite for that is going into /mnt/floppy, trying to copy something
to the floppy, realising you're not root and using "su" to go root, then
changing directory back out of the floppy, because your original user is
still in there.  If you're stuck, log out and log back in again.

Hope this helps, and doesn't confuse you too much.  I'm sure someone will
be able to demonstrate on Thursday.

Gordon.