[Scottish] Hopeless newbie does Tomcat (or not, as the case may be...)

Steve Logan steve at bigsmoke.com
Thu Oct 20 13:16:14 BST 2005

Thanks Danny,

I've now got Java working correctly and can compile away...

Another conceptual question:
Is it usual 'the Linux way' to have to manually add/edit env vars like
this?  Should an RPM do it for you?  If so, then should I stop
considering RPMs as being the equivalent of Windows MSI files and more
as a glorified UNZIP/Put-things-in-the-right-folders kind of thing?

A YaST question:
Is installing via YaST EXACTLY the same as doing it yourself from the RPMs?

Ta again

Steve

Danny Owens wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Once you have done the rpm installation, you can manually check that
> java has been installed to /usr/java/j2sdk[version]/
> (please ignore your jre for now as it is not needed by tomcat)
>
> Now set up the environment variables like so;
>
> JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/j2sdk[version]
> export JAVA_HOME
>
> PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
> export PATH
>
> (You can place these in /etc/profile.local on SuSe when you know it works.)
>
> You can test java and javac at the command line.
>
> If you install tomcat you will also probably need ANT - both Tomcat and
> ANT have their own environment variables that need set (see install docs).
> You will also need to set a CLASSPATH environment variable if you put
> any java classes in non-standard places.
>
> I hope this helps...
>
> best,
> Danny
>

> Steve Logan wrote:
>
>>> rpm -Uvh jre-1_5_0_05-linux-i586.rpm
>>

>> Did this for both the JRE and JDK.  Should this set the
>> $JAVA_<whatever> environment vars or do I need to set them manually?
>>
>> I'm still confused as to why nothing appeared to happen when I tried
>> to install with YaST??
>>
>> Steve

Dr Steve Logan, engineering software
  t: 01764-650085