[Scottish] Ubuntu rampant.....

Colin McKinnon colin.mckinnon at ntlworld.com
Sat Feb 17 13:17:33 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 February 2007 19:09, babaguy wrote:
>  Thanks Guys - No, the files are simply WORD files, which ought to be
> readable in Open Office - but - (look, I'm sorry to appear so lame, but...)
>
> Exactly how do I mount an external drive in Ubu...?

How external? SCSI? USB? or do you just mean an IDE slave the box doesn't know
about yet?

On Thursday 15 February 2007 16:55, babaguy wrote:
> ....to have a Windows system and to try and hook up the HDD
> from the dead machine as a secondary drive and see if we could transfer
> files across ) -

I guess you mean just a plain old IDE disk.

It rather depends on what you've already got set up. If both the Ubuntu
machine and the disk use ATA IDE interfaces - broad ribbon cable connectors -
then its just a matter of working out where to connect it - most machines
come with two IDE channels, each of which can support 2 disks. If there are
any disks connected to a channel there can only be one connected as a master,
if there is a second, it must be connected as a slave. Typically disks will
have 3 settings - master / slave and cable select. The latter means that the
configuration is determined by the socket on the cable - but you need a
'cable select' IDE cable for this - usually these have the connectors marked
as 'master' and 'slave'.

I's suggest you have a recce then check confirm your findings at #scotlug.

Once youce got the disk in, cable connected and powered up, you need to tell
Linux how to read it. You've probably got a single disk and a CD configured
already. Open a terminal window and type in mount to find out how they are
connected.

hda is the master on the first channel
hdb is the slave on the first channel
hdc is the master on the second channel
hdd is the slave on the second channel

mount will show the partitions for each drive e.g.

/dev/hdb1 on / type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hdb3 on /home type reiserfs (rw,acl,user_xattr)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /mnt/hda1 type reiserfs (rw)
/dev/hdc on /media/SMS0384M004 type subfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,fs=cdfss,procuid)

here I've got 2 partitions from hdb (slave on first channel) one from hda
(master) and a CDROM (hdc) mounted.

Typicall MS Windows will create a single partition on a disk so once you'ce
worked out where the new disk is mount it by (as root):
	mkdir /mnt/hdd1			- if it doesn't exist
	mount /dev/hdd1 /mnt/hdd1

If these boxes are networked, it might be simpler to boot up the dead
MSWindows box from a Knoppix CD (or similar) and copy the stuff over.

HTH

C.