[Staffs] Stoke PGP/GPG keysigning & CAcert assurance

Matthew J Keay mjkeay at lenin.net
Mon Aug 16 14:45:58 BST 2004

Hi

I've recently joined this list, so hello to anyone/everyone :)

I mailed the below message to a group of friends to see what kind of
interest there is & to see if its worthwhile. Theres noone near me on
cacert or thawte, and I know this is the case for a lot of people
geographically.. so this idea of people building localised webs of
trusts and then the verifications being processed retrospectically seems
a feasable solution.

Anyway, i'm jibbering.. basically - is anyone else interested in this?
Please CC replies to matthew at stropharia.com if possible..

Matthew

---
Hiya all

I've been chatting to a friend at www.cacert.org and given theres noone
local enough to me to assure *me* I thought i'd have a go at setting up
a local web of trust.

Basically how it works is, we all meet up bringing along our ID and
details of our PGP/GPG keys - and then everybody verifies everybody
elses ID in a mutual fashion. So everybody can confirm everybody else is
who they say they are. When people get home, they sign the keys as
required with the higher trust setting.

So what I was thinking, is if we all meet up somewhere localish - Stoke
would be absolutely ideal for me.. :D and most have you have met me
already so know where I am.. etc :D

Also - when one of the people in the web of trust becomes an assurer at
CAcert they can retrospectively assurer the people in the group. (Awaiting CAcert confirmation).

So yeah, this sounds a little bit freaky/weird but.. do you fancy it? If
nothing else you'll be shutting me up from hassling you and we'll have
got to meet up for a couple of drinks :D

I was going to propose the 28th of August mid afternoon to start..

Let me know if your interested and we can see if its worth it or not..
feel free to bring other folk too/forward this mail as needed..

If this makes no sense at all to you - have a look at this; http://www.rubin.ch/pgp/kspa/gpg-party.en.html#ss1.1

Matthew
---