[Sussex] INSIDE: A daemons story

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 13:37:00 UTC 2002

Steve Said:
===========
> INSIDErs
>
> Had some thoughts while driving in this morning and I would
> like to run them by you.  Sort of gets team buy-in.
>
> Thinking about the similarities between the tasks of the INSIDE
> server daemon and Apache they appear to be pretty similar to me.

I assume we're talking Apache 1.x here as opposed to Apache 2 ?

<snipped the rest>

I have no objection to moving forward in a way that keeps things simple for
the developers.  As long as the system is architechurally elegant, the
source code is not unreadable and the server performance doesn't live up to
the "Brian the Snail" name.

KISS is afteralla solid principle.

The only thought I have is that the Apache propject have moved towards a
multi-threaded design rather than a multi-process design in Apache 2.0
(although it is configurable).  The aim being to improve performance (this
improvement is most visable on Windows).  I believe the trade off though is
not massively significant in our case.  Afterall Apache did very well for
several years prior to the new release!

- Geoff

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company