[Sussex] LaTeX Syntax

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 10:02:01 UTC 2002

Steve Wrote:
============
> If you have XEmacs installed it is part of the "Info" page, at
> least it is on by Debian systems.  The installs here at work
> (Win2K & Solaris) don't have it.

I'll emerge it this evening and find out.

> As for the parts of our document these are the sections that
> LaTeX has that I would like to include (question marks for those
> that may or may not be needed - in other words we should discuss):
>
> 	?part?
> 	?chapter?
> 	section
> 	subsection
> 	subsubsection
> 	paragraph

OK.  This is sensible.  One thought: subsection and subsubsection can be
implied by structure and so could all just be sections.

I have an XML Schema (XSD) file almost ready and an example document that
demonstrates such a structure.  I could make an effort to change the
nomenclature to reflect LaTeX.  There will always be additional structures
because of the nature of what we are trying to achieve.

> There are document type within LaTeX that don't allow parts or
> chapters.  We could just map to one of those types.  I not sure
> I like the idea of downloading a whole book - but then again
> some of the binary packages for Debian are getting v v big.

Hmmm.  I had not even considered chapters. We are approaching a broadband
age.  Fundementally a collection of chapter is just a special case of a
sequence of super-sections.  This will make more sense later in the week
when I show you the draft schema and example PvC file.

> LaTeX also has the following style setting:
>
> 	emph (italic when in normal, normal when in italic)
> 	normal, bold, italic
> 	fonts (size and type)

OK, will think about these as well.

> Then there is the question on equations in documents.  LaTeX
> has a lot of support for that.  My first question is can SVG
> support equations?  If so when can of load that problem to SVG.

There is a defined XML format for equations.  It's called MathML.  There are
existing programs and XSLT's that convert MathML into SVG.  We can certainly
look into it.

> My understanding chip just blew up - this must be a XML think
> that I don't understand ;-)

You wait until you see the schema!  :-P

> Hope this helps (even if it is a bit late)

It's very useful, my exposure to LaTeX is minimal, I am, if you like, a
"LaTeX virgin".  Hmmm, I bet I can find lots of people just like me if I use
that as a search term in Google!

- Geoff

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company