[Sussex] CORBA

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Dec 3 11:07:01 UTC 2002

Geoff

On 3 Dec 2002 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Three different people have told me in the last week that CORBA is a
> major ommission from my CV - so being an individual dedicated to the noble
> cause of making a living I've decided to rectify this skills GAP.

Three different ones - we must be right then :-)

> Obviously I want to undertake this educational process in a LINUX
> environment (not least because that's what I have available at home -
> there is only that or OS X, and frankly I find OSX obstructive when
> I'm coding) so I looked in the portage tree and found the following
> ORB's available:
>
> ORBit
> ORBit2
> omniORB
>
> Currently I'm leaning towards using omniORB because I've read that it's
> the fastest and it's used by IBM and ORACLE in their product ranges (and
> thus is likely to be fairly commonplace).

ORBit is a C ORB (I don't know about ORBit2) used by Gnome.

omniORB I think is C++, and given your a C++ guy I am guessing that you want
a C++ orb.  Having looked a the binding for a C ORB I'd say you really want
to use a C++ ORB.  If you pick a C ORB and then put a C++ wrapper around it
you really would be inventing the wheel twice.

I'd recommend TAO (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html):
  1). It may not be GPLed but it's free (as it is being developed at
       Washington U
  2). It has real time settings and is very configurable.
  3). There are a number of on-line documents on using it as it
  4).

Most of the other ORBs are commersical products that have been released
to the OOS communit.....

Well that's my $0.02 worth