[Sussex] General update

Mark Harrison mark.harrison at ekingfisher.com
Mon Dec 16 07:52:00 UTC 2002

> It's normal form to send a quick introductory message to the group
> to let us know who you are and what your level of ability and
interests are.

Oh alright then :-)

I'm Mark Harrison, age 32, married and living in Maidenbower with wife
and daughter. Biologically, this makes it possible for me to be Jon
Faultley's dad (but I'm not) :-)

I've been using Unix and the Internet since 1989 (not a typo - I've
really been using the Internet for 13 years.) Obviously, 13 years ago,
it wasn't Linux, that was SunOS in the days before it moved from a BSD
base to System V, dyed its hair blue, and changed its name to Solaris.

Hmm... Can't remember when I first installed Linux - probably about
'95-'96, 'cos before that I had some old SparcStations at home.

Currently running SUSE, erm, not sure why really. I keep hearing the
name Gentoo so will probably cut over to that.

Run Smoothie as my main firewall at home, but will move to IPCop when
the ADSL line goes in (BT - if you're reading this - then this week
would be nice!)

Big interests - multi-tiered websites on Linux (been running them on big
iron for a while), Home Automation, Networked Audio.

Open-source credentials - 1: wrote about a third of the installation
documentation for jreceiver.sourceforge.net, 2: run a consume node (in
testing - aren't they all), 3: am project manager of
www.xapautomation.org - the home automation protocol (and yes, IANA do
list me as the asignee of 3639/TCP and 3639/UDP)

There you go then...

Mark