[Sussex] Newbie

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Dec 16 16:21:00 UTC 2002

Chris wrote:
------------
> Hi, guys,

Hi!

> I just joined this weekend, I'm Chris Parsons, 53, been involved with
> computers since 1969 and now run my own company doing largely Windows
> (shame!) consultancy. I live in Graffham, near Petworth and
> love motorbikes.
> Oh, yes, I'm married.

Ah, maybe you can answer my ongoing question about what is the most
North-westerly town in Sussex.. ;) .. sorry, it's a subject of rampant
debate in my office right now.

> I spend half my work time looking after the infrastructure for a local
> school, and have become increasingly irritated at the licensing costs
> imposed upon us by Bill and his gang. So, I thought I'd have a look at
> Linux. I have installed it Suse 8.1) on my network at home
> and am currently
> struggling with how to integrate it with an Active Directory
> network. Oh,

The simplest way to integrate any windows/LINUX network is to make LINUX the
server running SAMBA and OpenLDAP.  Samba can seemlessly unify your user
management across UNIX and Windows.

> yes, and it freezes periodically, and I'm at a loss to know
> where to look.

Simple answer - it's almost definitely just X-Windows hanging, not the OS,
from a laymans point of view this is still very bad - my first question
would be "are you using a shared memory graphics card?".  Just remember the
web is by far the best resource for LINUX troubleshooting, go to
http://www.google.com/linux and type in a few keywords of your problem and
see what you get!

> Still, early days yet, and I'm determined to reduce the
> school's reliance
> upon Windows.

A noble cause - I'm sure we're all happy to support you in that particular
crusade!

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company