[Sussex] Newbie

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 16 23:40:00 UTC 2002

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:46:01 -0000
"Chris Parsons" <cornubia at clara.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>I am interested in what you say about X. I installed it as it was
>there, but I guess, for the server, I don't need it, so might try
>turning it off
> and seeing how that goes. Is Suse supposed to be any good?

SuSE is one of the biggest distributions out there (and currently the
most popular distro in Europe), and generally is very good for beginners
/ desktop users. More technical users know that ultimately LINUX is
LINUX and you can do anything you want with any distro - it's just some
distros make life easier than others.

For a server platform I'd probably recommend Debian - it's not the
slickest distro, nor is it the most up to date, but it is tested to
destruction, well supported in the community and very easy to
administrate (after an initial learning curve).

On this list we seem to be running a lot of Debian boxes, and increasing
number of Gentoo boxes and a few SuSE, Red Hat and Slackware boxes - in
the world as a whole the popularity contest goes thus:

1. Red Hat
2. SuSe
3. Debian

For now, unless you have any specific problems I'd stick with SuSE and
see how you get along.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net