[Sussex] Yup!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed Dec 18 15:12:00 UTC 2002

Geoff

On 18 Dec 2002 Geoff Teale wrote:
> I actually heard that a small animation studio in the Disney group
> called Zyerdog was using ths kind of setup to drive  multiscreen
> presentations using LINUX (apparantly the X-box's are cheaper than
> the equivalent graphics hardware is on it's own).
>
> I don't have to point out the irony of the big film studios making
> massive use of LINUX to make films and TV programs (linux is rapidly
> approaching market dominance in the film industry) and simultainiously
> lobbying for laws that would prohibit several of the tools they use
> from being developed.

But companies like this only learn when pain is felt in the account books.

So when they successfully lobby the law in we send them a letter, copyed to
the DoJ that their own studio is breaking the law they asked for.

They must now port the software back (having only just ported over) and that
any film in production must be susspended and possible re-done from scratch
when
their new systems are back up and running.

Or that they could move their studio out of the US to a countries (Brazil,
Russia, Cuba) where such stupid laws are  not being passed.

[irony chip off]