[Sussex] MTA/SMTP servers

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Sat Dec 21 11:07:04 UTC 2002

On 21/12/02 10:23 am, "Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew J" <s0209208 at glos.ac.uk>
wrote:

> All,
>
> I've just finished my 1st term at uni, so as of tonight, I'll have a net
> connection again! :o)
>
> I'm going to emerge an MTA/SMTP server tonight/tomorrow morning, although
> I'm aware that sendmail is the most used, is there one particular one you
> would recommend such as postfix or another option?
>
> Also, while I'm talking about mail servers etc, can anyone recommend a POP3
> or IMAP server to emerge?  I'm turning my box into a complete server so that
> I can test my websites before sending them live. Part of the website will be
> sending out an automatic newsletter every week and I want to check the email
> function works as well as the cron jobs.

I would recommend Postfix but others will sing the praises of Exim or Qmail.
I prefer Postfix because it just seem easier to configure and it was
designed to just drop in in place of Sendmail.

For IMAP/POP3, UW-IMAP works and is easy to set-up. It's not the worlds most
secure software but for testing purposes it's fine. For a real-life server
people would probably say use Cyrus or Courier, but they require a lot more
configuration to get going.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford