[Sussex] The mooring after

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Nov 1 09:29:01 UTC 2002

All

On 01 November 2002 at 08:30 Geoff Teale wrote:
> Good meet last night.  It was nice to see some new faces
> coming along.

Very good meeting, and there were some new faces, and many missing
ones.

> If I get "monster" running reliably I may invest in a wireless
> card specifically for LUG meets.  From there it's a short, but
> expensive, jump to making my home wireless.  Quite apart from
> anything else the Mrs. would appreciate not having 8m of bright
> pink cat5 running from the spare bedroom to the front room....

I'm thinking of going out this weekend and buying the kit
base station and all.

I would appreciate if those of you with home WiFi networks would
send in your configs (vendor/model no of the base station and
wireless card as there are problems with some cards).

Beer boy (you know who you are) thanks for the loan of your
card - what type/model is it. - Ta

> It was also exceptionally good to meet some people from a
> company actively promoting Open Source / Free Software in
> the Sussex area.   Steve and I had been discussing the
> viability of such an enterprise with increasing frequency
> over the last few months and as such it is especially nice to
> see it in action and, from a bystanders point of view, moving
> towards a successful and stable business.

Nik, thanks for hosting and the good luck promoting OSS.  Just
remember Geoff and me when you need more help :-)  You know
that I know how to build a Linux kernel ;-)

> Big thanks to Dominic for the lift home!  I'd like to hear
> some more about your tomcat/apache problems - I'm sure between
> us we can resolve this!  I may spend some time this weekend
> and do an Apache install and see if I can get tomcat running
> successfully.  I have a friend (Paul) who lives and works
> in East Grinstead and is currently borrowing all my Java
> books (because he too is sick of VB and Progress) so he'd
> probably be interested in getting some J2EE stuff working.

Hi Dom, hope the format the meeting takes didn't put you off.
Good luck with getting tomcat to work - I tried once playing
with it once (just for fun).  Didn't get it working but I did
need it so I gave up quickly.

> I have actually achieved a fully operational Apache and
> Tomcat build before when I first looked at J2EE back in
> my Thomson days so I'm reasonably confident I can get it
> running - often my confidence is completely misplaced
> thought ;)

Sun's J2EE works fine on Linux 2.4.x - I have it working and
followed their programming examples from the tutorial without
a problem.  I think my problem getting tomcat to work was
a lack of understanding of JSP in general.  I think your
not over confident, just over optimistic - A job always
takes longer than you think, unless you think it will take
an age :-)