[Sussex] Wifi was(The mooring after)

Tom Ellis tom at trellisnet.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 10:32:01 UTC 2002

> > If I get "monster" running reliably I may invest in a wireless
> > card specifically for LUG meets.  From there it's a short, but
> > expensive, jump to making my home wireless.  Quite apart from
> > anything else the Mrs. would appreciate not having 8m of bright
> > pink cat5 running from the spare bedroom to the front room....

excellent, :) the advantages are massive, esp. if your on half term and can stay in bed all
day long... /me thinks he should get up now...

> I'm thinking of going out this weekend and buying the kit
> base station and all.
>
> I would appreciate if those of you with home WiFi networks would
> send in your configs (vendor/model no of the base station and
> wireless card as there are problems with some cards).

My configuration is a Linksys Wap11 version2 from http://www.wstore.com/
i think the prices have gone down now, so its just under 100.
That model is just the standard access point, although they do an nice
WAP/Router/4PortSwitch one by linksys which i've installed round SWMBO's house
which i config'ed ntl broadband, up with it.

As for wifi cards go, the pcmcia ones still fetch about 50 afaik, depending on model/manu
but i think i've seen a belkin one for cheaper somewhere.
Mine was an enterasys networks roamabout, which is a rebranded orrinoco silver card.
For linux support you better consult the beer boy, as my work station running linux is hard
wired for the speed so not played with wifi in it.

I' ve also installed and config'ed the belkin external usb adaptor for 'doze, i don't highly
recommend this - hardware seemed a bit lame and signal strength naff.

Thats it i think... no one sec... last but not least,  I've used my pcmcia card in a pci
adaptor which seemed to work fine, the adaptors are about 20 quid on redstore.

> Beer boy (you know who you are) thanks for the loan of your
> card - what type/model is it. - Ta

Speaking for the beer boy...
His was an orrinoco silver card too, afaik good linux support.
I also remember hearing that the prism cards have the best linux support.

On a further note, just after the meet i got my onboard prism card working so now.. i don't
have it sticking out the side :D

Good meeting, good luck with the wifi

Tom