[Sussex] Linux Newbie on the street

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Sun Nov 3 11:26:02 UTC 2002

Morning all,

This is geoff incase my home e-mail address confuses you guys... ;)

On 02 Nov 2002 11:21:59 +0000
Angelo Servini <angelo at servini.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi

Hi Angelo - good to see you on the list!

[Chaps, Angelo is a colleague of mine - I'm working on bringing them over to LINUX one at a time ;) ]

<snip>

> 2/  Is it possible to get Mozilla to connect to the internet (I have a
> modem 56k connection) as soon as I click on its icon?  At the moment I
> have to first activate the modem connection then click on the Icon.

Angelo.  Could have told you this at work - but I wanted to get you into the habit of using the internet as your prime resource for finding out about LINUX - it really is the best way to learn.

What you need to do is run a daemon called diald - this daemon (a daemon is like a "Service" in windows) reacts to requests for network services and will raise a ppp link if one does not automatically exist.

Go to www.freshmeat.net and search for "diald" you should find it straight off.  Try and work it out for yourself from there.  If you need more help after that write back to the list or give me a shout at work.

> PS.  do you know of any online training material / ebooks / CBT's on the
> subject of linux?  I would appreciate any linx you may send my way.

A good place to start is:

http://www.linuxdocs.org

Good luck Angelo - see you on Monday!

- Geoff Teale