[Sussex] Linux Newbie on the street

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Sun Nov 3 19:22:00 UTC 2002

Geoff/Angelo

On 03 November 2002 11:26 The ol' tealeg wrote:
> Morning all,

Good Evening

> This is geoff incase my home e-mail address confuses you guys... ;)

I knew that - but only because tealeg appears in your GPG key which
I have just signed :-)

> On 02 Nov 2002 11:21:59 +0000
> Angelo Servini <angelo at servini.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> > Hi
>
> Hi Angelo - good to see you on the list!
>
> [Chaps, Angelo is a colleague of mine - I'm working on
> bringing them over to LINUX one at a time ;) ]

Are - the craftsman approach - that will take to long we need to
get them to come over on mass [Vague reference to Good Omens in
there if you look hard ;-)]

> <snip>
>
> > 2/  Is it possible to get Mozilla to connect to the
> > internet (I have a modem 56k connection) as soon as
> > I click on its icon?  At the moment I have to first
> >  activate the modem connection then click on the Icon.
>
> Angelo.  Could have told you this at work - but I wanted to
> get you into the habit of using the internet as your prime
> resource for finding out about LINUX - it really is the best
> way to learn.

I disagree here (but only a little bit).  The best way of learning
is from one peers - but I agree its the prime way.

> What you need to do is run a daemon called diald - this
> daemon (a daemon is like a "Service" in windows) reacts to
> requests for network services and will raise a ppp link if
> one does not automatically exist.

I may switch over to using daild myself (even after what I said
on my other posting).  Now I have the WiFi up and running I don't
want to log in to the dailer to get it to connect to my ISP.

> Go to www.freshmeat.net and search for "diald" you should
> find it straight off.  Try and work it out for yourself from
> there.  If you need more help after that write back to the
> list or give me a shout at work.

There must be an RPM for it - he is running RH8 after all.

<snip>