[Sussex] Giving something back

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Thu Nov 7 10:30:01 UTC 2002

Nik,

A quality posting!

Nik wrote:
----------
<snip>
> Whilst every OS has its place he sees the
> real valu ein
> having access to all levels of a Applications implementation
> especially when
> considering support and implementation.

This is a major strength for a company in Actus's role.

> I can honselty say I have not comprimised on my view that
> Open Source is the
> Best Advice for every SME but ive implemented a language that makes my
> presentation more credible to the respective buyers.

Yes Nik.  You have a way with words and an entheusiasm that has the mark of
a salesman about it ;)

Being able to drive home the core of the vision without clouding the issue
is a skill.

> Ive seen ( even in this list thread ) quite a lot of Atypical
> Geek ( its a
> good word for this ) attitude towards promoting, encouraging
> open source. It
> tends to be that we see a problem, examine all the issues and
> then go back and
> examine al lthe issues surrounding those problems until we
> hit a issue that
> appears unresolveable then we all stop and say it cant be done.

I don't think there is much that cannot be done ;)

I bring these issues up here not only to vent my frustration but see if
other people have ideas that can send my thinking in a different route
around the problem.

> Allow me to address a few points that always get raised.
>
> 1. Competition
> Yes there might be other people out there doing it already
> but, and I cant
> make this more clear if I try, there is ALWAYS space in the
> market for a new
> view on a old product. look at Dyson, Amstrad, Virgin, Redhat
> for example.

Agreed, however it would be naiive of me to start up in direct competition
to you - the differentiaion would be minimal.  I believe complementary
industry is the way to go.

> 2. Market Awareness
> Just because no one has heard of it or uses it does not make
> a idea invalid or
> not worth supporting. Acceptance starts from within and is
> demonstrated in
> application.

Again I agree with this.  The problem (for me specifically) is in financing
a startup in a market that needs to be educated.

<snip>
> Steve & Geoff theres plenty of excellent reason to start a
> business and theres
> plenty of business out there to take without stepping on toes
> ( see Neil Ford
> for proof of that <grin>) You want to promote Linux.
> Excellent that makes it
> easier for all of us to talk about it.
>
> Just keep the idea simple, dont overplan or over stylize the
> concept simply
> say my idea is valid and I will seek to make a profit from it.
>
> Im happy to find the work for you guys and give you
> opportunities I can see me
> doing that within the next few onths anyway but id rather get
> the work in and
> farm it out to another business than to some employees that I
> have to manage.

Apart from anything else employees are a consistent cost to your business
even when they're not actively bringing in income.  There is a lot more risk
in bespoke software development than in support contracts methinks.  The
risk of overruning projects is great.

Bespoke development is a level of support beyond simply converting people to
LINUX systems.

> Im wanting to runa support/awareness company not a
> development company. how
> about you ?

I'd love to do it.  Being spoon fed customers is certainly a better start
than anticipated and would make life a *lot* easier.  Issues for me:

1. I need to pass my driving test - mobility is essential in consulting.
Working on that now.

2. My wife and I need a consistent income to service existing debts.  This
situation will ease slightly in January.

> Anyway thats it for now.

Thanks for your input!.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company