[Sussex] Games on LINUX

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Nov 8 10:16:01 UTC 2002

Chaps,

Angelo was asking me about Games on LINUX yesterday afternoon.  We spent
some time looking at the WINEX site.  If you don't know already this is a
WINE project that support windows DirectX and DirectMedia layers (like
OpenGl / OpenAl but proprietary) and allows a number of Windows games to run
on LINUX.

Anyhow, inspired by these conversation I decided to waste some time last
night by playing tuxracer.

On my Gentoo 1.4RC1 box this required me to setup DRI to drive my VoodooIII
- fortunately I know that the secret for this is to go to
http://dri.sourceforge.net an download the latest dripkg, unzip it and run
the interactive installation script - a big time saver, especially as the
Xfree86 headers have changed recently and managed to screw up a lot of the
source dependant on them (this won't affect you unless you're on the
bleeding edge - it'll be resolved by the time any of the main distros put
out the source).

So ten minutes later and I'm playing the latest free release of tuxracer -
very enjoyable to.  So I head off to the tuxracer website to find out about
the commercial version (same free, open source game engine but far more
levels and much better graphics) so I think, "What the hell.  I like the
game, I'd like more levels, it's only US$27, we should support LINUX
companies, I'll buy a copy"... ...and that leads me to the website
http://www.tuxgames.com

If you'd like to buy commercial games (and anything else to do with gaming,
including programming books) on the LINUX platform these seems to be the
place to go.  As Amazon.co.uk is currently listing every game in their LINUX
games sections as unavailable (after LOKI shut their doors) this seems to be
a better resource for people looking for that kind of software.

Whilst I'm in the mood I should also draw your attention to my favourite
LINUX shop in the UK:

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk
I get my Happy Hacker keyboards from here - I thoroughly recommend these if
you want a serious durable keyboard, it also free's up a lot of desk space!
They also stock all manner of distros, games, hardware etc, etc.  If you've
only got a 56k line they also sell burnt discs of current software releases
and distros very cheaply as well.  Service here is fantastic.

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company