[Sussex] Solwise SAR715

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Tue Nov 12 20:39:01 UTC 2002

> Chaps,
>
> A friend of mine has just bought a Solwise SAR715 ADSL modem / router.
> I was at his place until after midnight last night trying to get this
> thing working with no success, the docs are awful!
>
> We managed to get it to ping IP outside the LAN (breifly), but DNS was
> borked.

I've downloaded the manual for this beast. It sounds horrible to
configure, but I think I understand it.

You need to clear the current WAN configuration, then add a new profile
using the configuration wizard:

1. Select PPPoA Routed, then all the connection details (such as VPI/VCI,
and authentication method) and check advanced configuration box.
2. If you have an IP address for your WAN interface, you can enter it
here, along with LLC information (off for BT)
3. Enable NAT, and you can enter the IP address and subnet mask for the
LAN interface.
4. Go to Advanced configuration, Select ADSL mode and make sure its set to
gdmt mode.
5. Select DHCP server, and set the server mode to DHCP Server, and choose
configure.
6. You can now set the IP range for the DHCP server, the range must be in
the same IP range as the LAN interface.
7. If your DSL provider has the DNS servers supplied by the CHAP
authentication, then check the box "use router as DNS server", otherwise
you can add the DNS server entries here. Check the "use router as default
gateway" box, and click apply.
8. Lastly, you will need to save the config, from System/Save Config.
9. Initiate a router restart, and when the router has successfully
rebooted, it will show you the WAN connection state (if the IP is 0.0.0.0,
then you don't have the WAN settings correct)

Here is a good site to bookmark, as it covers various different routers
and their respective flash versions and manuals along with configs):
http://www.thecaretaker.org.uk/routers.htm

--
John