[Sussex] SECURITY ALERT - tcpdump - HIGH PRIORITY

Macdonald-Wallace, Matthew J s0209208 at glos.ac.uk
Mon Nov 18 10:45:01 UTC 2002

Guys,

FYI, Info below relates to tcpdump, article dated 14th November.

Got it off another mailing list...

--------

I read this on CNet's news site. Apparently some hackers broke into an open
source site that provides a popular network monitoring tool. The hackers
modified the source code to include some spyware features and then were able
to post the code to the site so that visitors downloading this tool would
unknowingly allow themselves to be spied upon.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-965916.html

I wonder if M$ had a similar issue but isn't divulging that information.

--------

Cheers,

Matt