[Sussex] Kernel 2.5.47 Problems

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 13:26:00 UTC 2002

Steve wrote:
------------
> At the risk of embarssing you beyond endurance :-) you did re-run the
> grub boot block installer.  I don't use (and know nothing about) grub.

Which shows... ;)  You don't need to do this with GRUB.

There is an initial setup for GRUB itself (using the `grub` command and some
interactive GRUB setup commands), but after that you just edit the menu.lst
file as and when you need to (the initial setup specifies the location of
the menu.lst file using GRUB's own device syntax (in GRUB syntax (hd0,0) =
/dev/hda1).   Each entry in menu.lst gives very explicit details about where
to find the kernel image.

However I am starting to doubt my GRUB /boot/grub/menu.lst file is correct..
it does seem that it isn't loading the kernel at all.  Maybe I've put in a
silly typo that I couldn't see yesterday (Saturday was a hard night -
Sarah's birthday).

It's typical that the job I've done a million times before would be the one
I screw up. :)

--
GJT
geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company