[Sussex] Hard disk help/ XP reinstall!

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Fri Nov 22 11:10:01 UTC 2002

On 22/11/02 10:54 am, "Derek Harding" <derek at lagham.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Second, I have a friend who has a laptop with XP. He has virtually never used
> it (it's only 6 months old and he had it as a gift) but now, without any
> fiddling, it demands the key code from the disk every time it boots and, even
> though the approriate code is fed in, it simply reboots back to the same
> demand. Changing to Linux, even a deb distribution :-)> , is not an option. I
> shall look at it on Tuesday and probably re-install or downgrade to W2k.
> Anyone any sensible, helpful suggestions before I zap what's on it? There is
> nothing on there which needs to be kept, so even reformatting is fine.

It probably needs registering with MS. After a certain time XP prevents you
from using it until this is done.

It's a really pain of a process btw, especially if the machine is doing the
reboot process.

Re-installing XP will reset the clock and allow the process to be completed.
That is probably the best bet in this case.

Regards
Neil.
--
Neil Ford