[Sussex] newbie

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 25 18:09:01 UTC 2002

Hi Adam,

I'm Geoff (the guy who manually subbed you to the list - this is my home e-mail address), glad to see you here.

Just to make you feel at home -  I also run Gentoo 1.4RC1 and prior to that I ran Gentoo 1.2.

I have to say that I am truely impressed that you managed to install a Gentoo release candidate over a 56k line as your first LINUX experience.  Gentoo's install process is about the same as the install process for LINUX was 10 years ago - it can be quite a feet for even an experienced LINUX user!

Most distro's are much easier to install than Gentoo, but Gentoo is the most satisfying I've found once it's up and running.

As for fluxbox  - well I'm a big fan, I've hacked on it a bit over tha last couple of years - in terms of pure performance it's one of the best Window Managers out there, and it keeps it simple.  To my mind that's a better UI than the over the top boiled sweet that is Windows XP, but most novice users would rather use something like KDE3 or Gnome2.  I don't suggest trying to install either of the latter via your 56k line using emerge !!

Welcome to the group Adam and please do not feel silly if there is anything at all you need to ask.  From the sounds of it you've got some talent with computers (the whole water-cooling thing suggests you#re quite the geek already :-) ...)

--
GJT
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net