[Sussex] newbie

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Mon Nov 25 20:22:00 UTC 2002

> Hi, I'm a new member to the list and I've been told it's a good idea to
> introduce myself.

Hello! :)

> I'm 16 years old and from Eastbourne.  Currently studying Maths,
> Economics, Computing and German at Park College, Eastbourne.  I'm
> currently running Gentoo 1.4rc1 on my main box - an Athlon XP1600 AROIA
> @ 1.837 (hopefully more when I install my watercooling), 256mb PC2700
> Crucial and an 80gb 'cuda IV.

Gentoo, and you're a newbie? cool :) My first distro was Slackware... just
because it was all I could get my hands on. It's sorta not like gentoo,
but it's very 'low level' so you have to manually hack about to get things
working, somewhat like gentoo in that respect iirc. The best way to learn,
imo :)

> [SNIPPAGE] The
> knowledge I gained from the Gentoo install is, in my opinion, far better
> than that which I could have learned from a lifetime of 'playing' with
> Redhat.

Indeed. I reckon if i started out using Redhat linux rather than
slackware, i'd not be where I am today (working with linux for a living :)
)

> So far I'm loving Linux, I've actually been able to sell/give away most
> of my other boxes as for some reason I no longer need them.  I first
> decided to try linux after installing Smoothwall.  I was so impressed by
> the way it could operate router and firewall functions with perfect
> reliability whilst making frugal use of resources.

oo, smoothwall.. used to work for em up until 2-and-a-bit weeks ago... i
also have the 'honour' of being the third EVER smoothwall user :)

> I'm also new to mailing lists, so please bear with me if I make an idiot
> of myself.

That's OK... we have Geoff on the list who makes a fool outta himself all
the time ;) (joke btw - don't want you to lynch me at the next meet ;) )

> If you're still reading by this point, thanks.

Eh? Oh right, reading... yes, erm I was.... :)

Jon

P.S. Standard Into: I'm Jon, 19 from Horsham and looking to meet... oh
wait, wrong intro.... I currently work for a company called Actus IT
offering IT support for SME's in the south of england, and we use
Opensource software whenever possible :) Before that i used to work for
SmoothWall limited, and have been playing with linux since i was about
14/15 or so.. started on Slackware 3.3, got hooked and here I am :)
--
* Jon Fautley *
c: +44 (0) 7984 714410
e: jon at geekpeople.net
  "Oi've got a brand new comboine 'arvester"