[Sussex] newbie

The ol' tealeg geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net
Mon Nov 25 21:01:00 UTC 2002

Jon wrote:
----------
> P.S. Standard Into: I'm Jon, 19 from Horsham and looking to meet... oh
> wait, wrong intro.... I currently work for a company called Actus IT
> offering IT support for SME's in the south of england, and we use
> Opensource software whenever possible :) Before that i used to work for
> SmoothWall limited, and have been playing with linux since i was about
> 14/15 or so.. started on Slackware 3.3, got hooked and here I am :)

Oops.. fogot to do that bit.. I'll keep it brief and vary the info a little so people who know me won't get any more bored than usual:

Geoff, 25, Technical Architect, Programming since I was 6, I started on a Spectrum 48k, which I programmed with Basic, and later Assembly until I was 11, then I got an Amiga A500, and later an A2000 with an 80MB hard drive, 6MB of RAM, a 68030 accelerator card and a 24bit graphics card (believe it or not this was a serious system in the early 1990's).  I actively used the Amiga as a recording studio way back then (I was a pro musician from the age of 16 until I was nearly 20 and had already been at Uni for a year).

When I started Uni in 1995 I had to get a PC to run Turbo Pascal and Delphi (then in version 1.0!!) and unfortunately at that time it meant Windows 95.  I stayed with that until I found out about LINUX at Uni, I used that exlusively for a year or so, after that I got involved in programming for BeOS so I ran BeOS 3, 4, 4.5 and 5.0 as my main OS for a period of a couple of years, with FreeBSD and LINUX as secondary boots (note, no Windows).  At work I also got involved with realtime programming on QNX based systems.  When Be announced their "focus shift" a couple of years back I cleared down my hard drives and decided to go 100% LINUX - I had always found LINUX inelegant compared to BeOS, QNX and even FreeBSD, that was until this year when I came across Gentoo, since then I've been a stable Gentoo user (with the odd build of other distros and OS's for testing purposes).

--
GJT
geoff at tealeg.uklinux.net